59% of B2B Marketers Feel Significant Pressure to Generate More Leads. Here’s What You Need to Know.
When it comes to B2B marketing, generating high quality leads tops the list as one of the most important goals for marketers. The buying process for B2B industries has become increasingly complex, often involving multiple stakeholders and plenty of online research before a prospect contacts a sales rep. Finding and targeting new buyers to fill the pipeline has likewise become increasingly challenging for B2B marketers who need to find new ways to cut through the noise to get their brand noticed by qualified prospects.
A new survey conducted by B2B Marketing and The Telemarketing Company reveals that the majority of B2B marketers (59%) say they are “significantly” pressured to generate additional leads from upper management.
Additional research by Demand Gen Report asked B2B marketers about their top demand generation priorities. Focusing on lead quality or lead quantity was the most important objective according to 83% of survey respondents. Additional priorities included improving campaign results (71%), improving sales and marketing alignment (61%), and expanding content to drive campaigns (59%).
B2B Lead Generation Trends and Statistics
Here are some additional eye-opening statistics on the current state of B2B marketing:
- 93% of the B2B buying process begins with an Internet search. — Pinpoint Market Research
- 76% of B2B buyers leverage three or more information channels when researching a purchase. — Blue Nile Research
- B2B companies that blog generate 67% more leads per month than those that do not blog. — Openview
- 70% of people would prefer to learn about a company through articles (rather than an advert) — Demand Metric
- 64% of B2B marketers have generated leads via LinkedIn, 49% through Facebook, and 36% through Twitter. — Pinpoint Market Research
Most Effective B2B Lead Generation Strategies
Email is currently the most important marketing tactic used by B2B marketers, according to research by Spear Marketing Group. 83% of survey respondents rated email as the top marketing strategy, followed by content marketing at 74%.
Survey participants in research by Ascend2 also rate email highly, with 78% of respondents stating that email is the most effective digital channel, followed by websites at 48% and social media at 39%.
B2B Mobile Marketing
With the heavy emphasis on mobile, B2B marketers have been shifting tactics over the past several years to focus on mobile channels for lead generation. Over half of B2B companies have a mobile site and mobile app (65% respectively), and 45% of B2B marketers have implemented mobile-optimized emails.
B2B Content Marketing
Content marketing continues to be a strong strategy for B2B marketers and is a key tactic used to increase brand awareness and current and prospective customers. According to the 2016 US B2B Content Trends report by Content Marketing Institute and Marketing Profs, 88% of B2B marketers use content marketing, 76% plan to increase content creation, and 51% plan to increase their content marketing budget.
The top types of content include:
- 93% – Social Media (other than blogs)
- 82% – Case Studies
- 81% – Blogs
- 81% – eNewsletters
- 81% – In-person Events
However, when it comes to effectiveness in lead generation, B2B marketers stated that in-person events were the most effective at 75%. This was followed by webinars/webcasts at 66%, case studies at 65%, white papers at 63% and videos at 62%.
B2B Social Marketing
B2B social media statistics reveal that 87% of B2B companies are using social media as part of their online marketing strategy, more than any other content marketing platform. According to the MarketingProfs research, the top three B2B social media platforms used are LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Some other interesting statistics regarding the state of B2B social media marketing include:
- Facebook posts with images see 2.3X more engagement than those without images. (Pinaton)
- B2B content marketers employ an average of six social media platforms. (Content Marketing Institute and Marketing Profs)
- Articles with an image once every 75-100 words got 2X the shares of articles with fewer images, and a minimum of 30 more shares than articles with more. (Pinaton)
- 51% of B2B marketers use social media ads in their paid content distribution efforts. (Content Marketing Institute and Marketing Profs)
A targeted lead generation strategy must focus on raising brand awareness and targeting buyers across a mix of digital and mobile channels. With today’s buyers conducting so much research on their own before you may even realize they are in-market, B2B marketers must cast a wider net in order to attract more qualified leads. Focus on quality content, utilize social media channels liberally, send personalized emails, and develop a strategy to attract a more targeted audience.